Monday 18 November 2019

Bad play makes great critic OR Pigeon facts

In attempts to explore some untapped intellectual real estate: I wrote a play about a carrier pigeon race.
It's on a shelf for when Disney comes calling.
I know more about raising pigeons (called pigeon fancying by the way) - then ever I have need.
As competent a dramatist as I am, I will not claim that this thing I wrote in less than twenty four hours is my magnum opus.
But, one line does keep coming back to me.
"They got wings, you understand? Them with wings has a whole world of reasons to stay away, and they will.
So they gotta have a good reason to come back. They gotta choose coming back here, over everywhere else in the world. They're not like people, they won't just stick around out of habit."
"St Crispin's Day" it isn't, but that's not what bothers me.
I feel like this play is accusing me of being a slouch in life.
I feel insulted; taking criticism from a mediocre play with onstage bird impressions.
Even if there is some truth to it ...
So: You have a reason to stay where you are?
Or has it just become habit?

No comments:

Post a Comment