Thursday 21 December 2017

Day 51

If you ever need to pinpoint your greatest insecurities, ask your self: what traits would you not want to see in your child?
I wouldn't want them to be as withdrawn as I was.
I wouldn't want them to be as oblivious to social cues.
I wouldn't want them to conform so damn much! ... I would want them to conform more.
I would want them to stick up for themselves when confronted and not because I need them to be a cookie cutter hero archetype, but because I need them to know they have a right to the space they occupy, and no one get's to convince them otherwise.
I would want them to be unafraid of mistakes, considerate, creative and above all: unapologetic in the expressions of their bliss.
I would want all of this for them.
And I know that if this child ever did present with any of my flaws, I wouldn't shame them. I wouldn't hate them. I certainly wouldn't let them hate themselves. I would love them.
Completely. And help them overcome any obstacles in their way, with both patience and trust in them.
Now I see them as me. Just a child in a world both ancient and new. Fumbling along with one foot following the other in the ongoing struggle to move forward without falling down or running into sharp corners.
Now: I love myself.
Completely. I help myself to overcome any obstacles in my way, with both patience and trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment