Saturday 9 December 2017

Day 39

Envision dark clouds in a world of grey. A snow-less winter on a joyless day. The clouds show no sign of breaking. On the contrary, they gather in greater number. Each one thicker than the last.
A flash deep within the behemoth signals the oncoming storm.
The expected roll of thunder follows and winds rise.
We brace for the rain.
Just what this day needed: to be worse.
As the first drop falls, I anticipate it to be weighted with a mountain of disappointments and greivances. Every inconvenience and sorrow catches a ride on that little lonely drop, and I'm anticipating a mighty quake the moment it lands. Eyes closed. Breath held and shoulders tensed.
Can't this just not happen today?
A fragile voice rings out in reply.
I look down at my feet where I heard the sweet sigh, the very place from which the first drop fell.
This is not rain.
At least, not rain as I knew it to be...
The sliver of ground on which it fell, was now illuminated.
A small patch of brilliant colour, found in a world of grey.
More drops follow. There impact is marked by little voices of different pitch. A heavenly choir, here for a very special performance. Now that they are all falling more rapidly I can see this is not water falling from the sky: it's light.
Little droplets of daylight coming down to earth.
Everywhere they land, another part of the world is illuminated and another voice joins the choir.
Everything, everyone is glowing and alive and brilliant!
It's the first time I've prayed for a downpour to never end. Let this be the life I know. Let the grey days be the exception. Let this one last ...

No comments:

Post a Comment