Tuesday 28 November 2017

Day 29

I fear one day waking up and being told that there was a happiness tree gifted to me, and if I had just watered it every day till now, I'd have all the prosperity bacon I could ever want!
(... in this hypothetical, bacon grows on trees. Maple trees make maple bacon.)
Adult has more and more become an honorary title, whose true meaning simply is that I survived this long.
Perhaps I was in school too long.
I still expect some orientation fr the first day of adult school. What a depressing place that would be.
Intro classes include, sleeping while watching the news. Coping with hair loss/hair gain.
Coming to terms with your own parents' mortality.
Some days I'm hit by the overwhelming weight of a realization that I am going to have to feed, clothe, house and generally take care of myself for the rest of my life.
And I will have no idea how well that's working out until it goes horribly wrong.
Ask me again if I ever want kids!?
...
I complain about all this, while fully admitting that there is a cocky grin waiting to fully spread across my big dumb face, while I front my action hero line: bring it on.
Some days I live for that challenge.
I recall a particularly blustering wind trying to keep me from a rehearsal. It was on the coldest day that Edmonton winter, and I had stubbornly refused transit. I had also forgotten head covering of any kind.
It began as streaks, hurling flakes of snow and currents of cold.
You could almost avoid them, if you simply avoided marching in a straight line.
They would grow in consistency and size, until finally you found yourself marching at a 45 degree angle to snow covered streets.
It's a wind I remember every time I'm hit by another of it's kind, because I smiled through the whole thing.
Sometimes laughing. Sometimes shouting lines from whatever scenes we were working on, in defiance.
In many ways I like this wind; just as in many ways I loathe it.
But I do appreciate the reminder they provide me; that when faced with an obstacle, I chose to smile through the pain. A trick I learned from my father before me.
In spite of all obstacles: my fathers smile will see me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment