Sunday 17 June 2018

Day 200

I am my father when I do the twist in the middle of a song that no sane person would be doing the twist to; because it's the most important dance move he ever taught me.

I am my father when I'm listening to you attentively, even if I don't know what the hell you're talking about:
I just want you to feel confident in your speaking.
I am my Father when you need a ride, and I offer without you having to ask.
I am my Father when you thank me and I tell you it's on the way - it isn't,

but my Dad wouldn't mind and neither do I.
I am my Father when I am making you laugh, because I can see you need cheering up.
I am my Father when I forgive your knuckle headed mistakes, because he forgave me a lot of mine.
When I show outward calm in the face of crisis, that's not me, it's my impression of my Dad.
Because I am my Father when I am brave:

whether comforting the teary eyed, or carrying a kid away from a car accident,

I exemplify him when the world starts to crumble.
I am my father when I befriend a stranger or engage in small talk. I am very much my Father if the small talk goes on too long.
If I help you, or cheer you, or comfort you, or save you; if you thank me for my kindness or my understanding, I will likely not accept it. Because it's not me you should be thanking.
It's my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment