Sunday 20 May 2018

Day 177

"What do you most desire?" asked the voice in the dark.
"I don't know," Came my response. "Kind of busy with work to think about it." I explained with a strange calm, despite my clearly being faced by a monster in the dark.
"How can I take, if you've nothing to offer?" Came an almost petulant hiss.
Though neither form, nor face, nor feature could be perceived; I could sense this unseen other's disappointment.
"Sorry to disappoint." I replied. Still calm, though now more than a little insecure. "Perhaps return in a year or so. Maybe then I'll have some exciting new opportunities?"
"You won't." The thing groaned. "I've seen your type before. You'll keep insisting on dreams to come, that never do. Opportunities on the horizon, which never appear."I was being measured up by a voice in the dark.
"Best leave you behind and move on. Otherwise I may starve myself to death!"The sound of slithering scales, followed by flapping wings are heard. Then: nothing.
Just myself alone. Alone to face the reality that I had been spared by a creature of the night for no other reason than having no drive. No dreams. Nothing of value to take.
A life presently void of wonderment.
Who knew adult monsters would bring such existential introspection ...

No comments:

Post a Comment