Sunday 18 February 2018

Day 102

Think back to the first time you heard a word, before seeing what it was associated with.
Can you remember the image that came to mind?
Hearing about a dog person, before being told what a dog person actually was, comes to mind as a magical few moments in my life.
Expectation: a person who is part dog.
Reality: just some dude who likes dogs. My disappointment would be immediately curbed when in anticipation of meeting a dog.
Other words: Dragon fruit. This one is actually quite fresh as I'd only seen the epically named produce for the first time a year ago. I don't even want to eat it. Based on how underwhelming the appearance to the name was, I can only imagine how disappointing the taste should prove.
A chain letter! Imagine a letter written on a chain. Practical? No. Legible? Unlikely. But epic: very.
These are only a few examples of a time before I knew what a thing was, because I had only heard the name of it.
The mind raced to solve the riddle that was all of a sudden popped into my head. A mystery that, only moments before, never even existed to me and I didn't know needed to be solved.
As I've grown older, these mysteries have been harder to find, because in the past they found me.
What will the next one be ... and when can we meet up?
Gingerbread house: that was another one. Though technically what it proported to be, just on a more disappointing scale then I'd have wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment