Saturday 17 February 2018

Day 101

There's a story I want to tell.
It's about a woman on a quest to save her family from death.
But this lady is a knight, you see. On what any non-knight might call a fools errand. And what are fools, but knights without armour?
And what is death to her, this impossible woman. She won't let a little thing like mortality keep her from her quest.
She will find the means to defeat death.
It will carry her over rushing waters, through glass cites, above insurmountable peaks, and through the lowest pits of despair.
She'll go anywhere and everywhere and where it will ultimately bring her ...
I don't know how the story ends yet.
I'd be lying if I said I don't want a happy ending.
But as anyone who's ever written anything will tell you: it's not entirely up to me how it ends.
Just that it does end. That, and that it begins.
So. Let us begin:

She asked that I call her Diane, but assured me that she was born a Ruth.
She would then go on to explain to me that she didn't hate the name Ruth, but that she felt she had not yet grown into it.
And so, until she would age into Ruth, I should simply refer to her as Diane.
"And don't worry," she assured me "If I should become a Ruth, you'll know it without my having to even tell you."
First impressions are a funny thing, aren't they.

No comments:

Post a Comment