Monday 12 May 2014

A letter to Miss Whittaker circa 1981

Dear Miss Whittaker,

You and I haven't met yet.
Before we do, I want you to know something:
For every day you've lived and each day you've yet to see;
No one will love you more than my sister and me.

Her name is Mrs Tuck, and you'll see for yourself that she's a lot like you.
She makes friends easily and takes crap from nobody.
She's an adventurer and an athlete and, like you, yells at the other drivers on the road; even though they'll never hear either of you.

And as for me.
You'll teach me math, because you're better at it than my Dad.
You show me how to do laundry, though admittedly, I still need practice.

You're gonna teach me "I love you" before I know what words are.
It is the most important thing I'll ever learn to say.

And I want to say it to you today and yesterday and on all the days spanning back to before you know me.

Because I learn it first from you Mom.
I learn first to love from you.

Love from,
your six years from now son.

Ps
I'm gonna say "Lo-kee-doh" a lot.
We never really figure out what that means.
So ... Just go with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment