Thursday 24 April 2014

I've been talking to myself again ...

Did I invent a country as a kid?
Did you invent one, too?
What's it like? Where did it go? How do we get there?
Hop on, I'll cover the air fare
Sure the seats are uncomfy,
But Air Serendipity gets you where precisely when you need to be.

I've been talking to myself again ...
I'm re-rehearsing my “what's wrong with the world” words.
I do this in between trips to the unfair.

Do you do that?

Practice what you'll say on that one day-day
When you stand before the powers that would-if-they-could.
They sit staring; as would be powers would,
While you stand speaking; as guest speakers should,
In The chamber of changes made through speech making.

You j'accuse these would be's of dissing interests,
Of serving their selves and selfing concerns.
You express your concern at the poison these hypotheic pathetic pretend powers keep spilling
A spill that keeps filling-in the hole in the heart in the heart of the world!
You then penalize the penny pinching, politico point poachers, the ones who want to score, more than they want to play,
Cause their win-at-all-cost game is maiming your country: both the true-north and the strong and free,
The one you can only now seem to see in dreams
But you can't see it, cause you can't sleep,
Cause sleep can't compete with the screech of
“it's not us it's them” excuses, “I'm sorry I'm not sorry” apologies, and many many insults to a memory of a time and place you can't even remember forgetting.
So you just lie there, fully aware of the sound your body makes when you're breathing.

This is where my speech runs out of air.
It gets reduced to one repeating appeal to the powers that should be to help me, help me, help me.
Because there's a hole in the world,
And despite my eagerness and education,
I somehow missed out on the lesson entitled: all the know how on how to bury a hole.
So I simply say: Help me, help me, help me.

And I realize this is a lot to ask of the imaginary powers of would could and should.

The unfair goes everywhere, and everyone everywhere is rehearsing their own words between visits.
They've a hole in the heart in the heart of their world too
and they're filling it in, in between beats as best they can,
And for now that's about all we can do.

As for this latest draft; we'll shelve it for now
Till the next time the unfair's in town.
And I kid myself, these words won't cure a coronary gap.
Words rarely do, or even our actions at that.
Our intentions in this grander grand band stand will likely never be heard
over the insomnia inducing noises...
But if it could, I wouldn't want it to be with would words or could words.
It's the should words, that should be heard.

So we should choose some should words to change the world.
Because if we could: we would.
And if we should, we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment