Wednesday 12 March 2014

My sister is a wizard!

My sister is a Wizard:
She showed me my first magic trick using a handkerchief and a cup with cinnamon toast crunch in it. Her powers vanished when I peaked under the handkerchief to reveal a small sliding mirror. I did this even after she told me not to. A wizard should have known better.

My sister is a Scientist:
She showed me that liquid can go just over the rim when you fill up a cup. She showed me this every day we went to get a drink of Kool-aid, and every time she'd say “It's a science experiment.” I would sulk at this ... When would I get to do science experiements?

My sister is a Warrior:
At the bus stop and on the playground she struck fear and shame in the hearts of my enemies; reminding them all, “If you mess with him, you mess with me! And don't bother sending your older brothers or sisters: they're also scared of me!”

My sister is a Trap Checker:
She went to the same schools as me, but she would go first. All of our teachers were surprised how very different we were. Mostly in the area attendance and good behaviour. I'm not saying I was more well behaved than my sister, but I certainly got caught less than she did.

My sister is 'Hitch' (Before there was the movie Hitch):
She set me up on my first date, with her friend's sister. Unfortunately, I didn't know that it was a date before, during or even after the fact. And I wouldn't for many years later ...

My sister is an Athlete:
We both took part in soccer, volleyball, softball, badminton, golf, martial arts and the occasional videogame.
I am not ashamed to say she destroyed me at all of these ... Don't make fun! She'll wipe the floor with you, too ... but I will beat her at cards ... one day ...!

My sister is a Bride:
I watched her go through her share of frogs before she found her prince. And when they asked me to speak at her wedding, I was speechless ... but I spoke anyway. Everyone cried.

My sister is The Best Sister:
She's my first friend.
She will never truly know how proud of her I am, and that's alright.
I have the rest of our lives to find the right words that will inform her.
Until then:
Happy Birthday
To my Li'l Big Sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment